Christmas tragedy: Toddler found dead hours after being sent home from hospital

featured image

The heartbroken parents of a 22-month-old have told how they found her dead – just hours after she was sent home from hospital.

Little Hailey Thompson was diagnosed with a virus on December 18, but her family has been instructed to continue giving her fluids and paracetamol instead of antibiotics.

But early the next day, her parents Kris Thompson, 32, and Iboyla Adam, 35, found her unconscious in her bedroom.

Kris performed CPR before a paramedic took over and the child was rushed to Wigan Infirmary – where she tragically died despite doctors’ best efforts.

Now, an investigation has been launched after her parents complained that Hailey’s case was not taken seriously enough.

Kris, from Wigan, Gtr Manchester, said: “We cannot believe we have lost our little girl.

“Everything happened so fast. Something in her body took over her.

“When we found her at 5.30am on Monday, she was lying in exactly the same position I saw her when I went to bed at midnight, only she was stiff and her skin was discolored.

“It was a horrible sight and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

“We knew in our hearts that she was gone but I called 999 and screamed into the phone that our daughter was dying so they asked me to do CPR until the rapid response paramedic arrived.

“But she was unable to revive her and was pronounced dead at the hospital.”

“We can’t believe we lost our baby girl”

(Kris Thompson / SWNS)

Hailey started with a cough and runny nose on Dec. 7 and was taken to a GP who prescribed antibiotics, but she stopped taking them due to an allergic reaction.

A week later, she was taken for another doctor’s appointment, where the family was told that as she had a viral infection, she needed Calpol instead of antibiotics.

Just a day later, she was well enough to run, ate and drank well, and went to bed at her usual time of 6:30 pm.

Kris went to check on her at 11pm, where she found her daughter gasping for breath, so she immediately called 999, who said an ambulance would arrive shortly.

After 20 minutes he didn’t arrive and 111 told him there was a two hour wait so he took Hailey to the emergency room where they waited for over five hours before she was seen.

The doctor tested Hailey’s blood pressure and couldn’t check her tonsils, so she told the family to go home, where she went straight to sleep.

Her parents were instructed to keep her hydrated and on Calpol and, if she didn’t improve within three days, to bring her back to the emergency room.

She then woke up at noon but was coughing, had a runny nose and was “completely out of character”.

Hailey was put to bed at 6:15 pm on December 18th and Kris noticed that she was panting again, but not as severely as before.

Less than six hours later, the couple made the most heartbreaking discovery.

Wigan Infirmary was experiencing one of its busiest days on Sunday the 18th and a ‘critical incident’ was subsequently declared by the department.

But Ibolya and Kris want to know why no blood samples were taken when they took Hailey to the hospital “short of breath like a 90-year-old.”

The couple also said an attempt to check her tonsils was abandoned because the young woman struggled, closed her mouth and then vomited.

Kris and Ibolya were instructed to take Hailey home and keep her hydrated, and if she hadn’t improved within three days, bring her back to the ER.

But tragically, the young man died within 24 hours.

Kris said: “We want answers. How can a healthy baby die in its sleep?

“And why hasn’t she been tested for strep A, scarlet fever or Covid, for example?”

A post-mortem examination cannot be carried out until December 28, leaving the pair to face an agonizing wait for answers and the police have passed the details to the coroner.

A spokesperson for the Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust said: “Our sincere condolences to Hailey’s family at this tragic time.

“We are aware of the family’s concerns and are awaiting more information to better understand.”