I thought my son died 12 years ago - then a miracle happened

featured image

The mother of a missing son has waited 12 long years for her Christmas miracle.

Scottish mother Joyce Curtis thought her son had passed away after he disappeared over a decade ago. Curtis had not heard from his son Nicholas since he disappeared in 2010 and was presumed dead until December 19, when he received a phone call that his pride and joy had been found in a hospital in France.

“I can’t believe it,” Curtis told SWNS of the “miraculous” reunion. “I resigned myself to the fact that he had died. I really thought that and I think everyone thought the same.”

She added, “It’s like that movie ‘Miracle on 34th Street.’ It’s like a miracle.”

The heartbreaking saga began in the early 2000s after the Glasgow native quit his job as a construction worker and embarked on a tour of Europe. Nicholas told his mother that he was hitchhiking and his mother feared he was sick on the bad streets of Paris.

Finally, in 2009, Curtis reported his son missing after “not hearing from him for years and years” on his pan-European pilgrimage, the concerned father said.

“I resigned myself to the fact that he had died. I really thought that and I think everyone else thought the same thing,” said mom Joyce Curtis.
The Herald / SWNS

Her report appeared to pay dividends, as a year later the British consulate contacted her to inform her that Nicholas was alive, SWNS reported.

“I received a letter in 2010 saying that Nicholas was hospitalized in France,” explained Curtis, who immediately flew to Paris with her husband to visit him.

Little did the Scotswoman know that this would be the last time she would see her progeny for 12 years. “We were taking him home, but for some reason, I don’t know why, he just disappeared again”, lamented the heartbroken mother. “They were sending him home and told me he would be put on a flight.

“I had him in Glasgow at one point,” added Curtis, who even bought shoes and other travel clothes for the flight home during his visit to Paris.

The anxious mother waited at the hospital where she worked at the time, but Nicholas “never came home”.

“We were taking him home, but for some reason, I don’t know why, he just disappeared again,” Curtis said as he described his son’s disappearance.
The Herald / SWNS

“I remember it was raining a lot that day,” the petrified father described. “I called all the airports to see if he had boarded, but nothing.”

The Glaswegian added: “That was the last I heard from him until Monday.”

That day, the British Consulate contacted Curtis a second time to alert her that Nicholas was alive and had been admitted to a French hospital. again, à la “Groundhog Day”. However, they did not specify the nature of the man’s illness.

“When I got the call to say he was alive, I just went into shock,” exclaimed the beaming mother upon hearing the great news. “All I did was cry all day.”

The relieved mother said she was sure her son died from “COVID and everything that happened”, adding that she even “suffered for him”.

Curtis was overjoyed to speak with his son for the first time in 10 years. “I spoke to him on the phone. He looks healthy,” she said. “I asked him, ‘Are you coming home, Nikky?’ And he said, ‘Yes’”.

She added: “I can’t imagine what he went through. I just need to get him home.

And while Nicholas plans to travel home, Curtis says she’s also willing to travel to Paris to see him, presumably to avoid another painful case of déjà vu.

Meanwhile, the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office has also pledged to help. “We are supporting a Briton in France and providing assistance to his family,” a spokesman said. “We are in contact with local authorities.”