Mets and Carlos Correa talk about status of talks after robbery

TECHNOLOGY
featured image

Carlos Correa remained at the North Pole on Monday, his fate a belated gift to some deserving recipient as yet unknown.

Neither the Mets nor the All-Star shortstop have said whether discussions have resumed after an alleged break on Sunday for Christmas after concerns about Correa’s fitness surfaced last week. The two sides reached an agreement on a 12-year deal worth $315 million, conditional on Correa passing his physical.

At issue is a right ankle injury that Correa suffered in the minor leagues that led the Giants to cancel the shortstop’s 13-year, $350 million deal.

There is optimism that a deal could yet be completed between Correa and the Mets, with a source on Monday putting a 55 percent probability that the two sides would find common ground. Among the possibilities is contract language that would protect the Mets from financial liability if Correa’s pre-existing condition sidelines him for an extended period. Correa’s agent, Scott Boras, worked out a similar contract clause with JD Martinez after a five-year deal with the Red Sox for $110 million.

Carlos Correa
A problem with Carlos Correa’s right ankle emerged during his physical with the Mets.
Getty Images
Steve Cohen
Steve Cohen told The Post the Mets “needed a bat” when he agreed to a deal with Carlos Correa, pending a physical.
Sipa USA via AP

But the belief is that Correa – whose strong preference is to play for the Mets – is not open to restructuring the length or financial terms of the contract. At least three teams have been in contact with Correa’s field in recent days, but Correa remains committed for now to trying to finalize his deal with the Mets.

Correa underwent arthroscopic surgery after fracturing his right fibula and suffering ligament damage sliding to third base as a minor leaguer in 2014. In his eight seasons in the major leagues, Correa has not been placed on the injured list due to injury. on the right leg. But Correa has dealt with other ailments that have sidelined him in recent seasons, including back injuries that forced him to miss significant time in 2018 and 2019.

It could be up to both sides to come to terms: The Mets can’t just aim for another big stick in the free-agent market, with those options having evaporated. And from Correa’s perspective, does he need the drama of a third and physical deal this winter? Also, what kind of influence would Correa have in the negotiations? The Twins (who had him last season) didn’t hesitate to offer Correa a 10-year deal for $285 million, but that was before his two scheduled physicals.

Stakeholders during this delay include Eduardo Escobar and Luis Guillorme, one or both of whom could be traded if Correa’s deal with the Mets goes through. Correa would play third base for the team, with friend Francisco Lindor staying as shortstop.

If Correa isn’t signed, the Mets might still try to trade the Red Sox for Rafael Devers, but that’s hardly the preferred path for an organization looking to maintain prospects and build a formidable farm system.

Correa, 28, wasn’t on the Mets’ radar until the end of his free agency. Team owner Steve Cohen told The Post’s Jon Heyman that the Mets needed another bat after adding guns in Justin Verlander, Kodai Senga, Jose Quintana, David Robertson and Adam Ottavino, with Brandon Nimmo as the only significant offensive play to show in an offseason where the payroll for 2023 crossed the $350 million threshold (which doesn’t include another $75 million in penalties for exceeding the upper tier of the luxury tax threshold). After the Giants were slow to finalize their deal with Correa following his physical, Boras called Cohen on vacation in Hawaii and struck a late-night deal.

🇧🇷

Tags